Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thursday's Dream Schemes/Sketch by Kim


This weeks sketch challenge is by Dream Team member Kim Parkinson. And the technique I chose is appropriate for her creation because she was one of the first people that ever sent me a card with alcohol inks showcased. It was such an inspiration that I have been intrigued with the idea of working on metal with alcohol ever since.


I began by dry embossing the new "Prince of Peace" stencil (LX7004) through my embossing machine with a yellow-gold colored aluminum. Remember the stacking process is important so you don't bend the stencils. Here is the formula that works best...follow this order for all of the plates and materials for the best results. 


1. Thick white plate (Cuttlebug and Big Shot both have these).
2. Stencil
3. Material to be embossed goes face down on the stencil in this case gold colored metal is against the stencil
4. Thick rubber mat by Stamping Details
5. Two acrylic plates (be sure these are not warped and if you are using the Cuttlebug it would be the two "B" plates.


After it is embossed I removed it from the stencil and sanded the raised lettering with a fine grit sanding block or manicure block. Then I repositioned the stencil onto the metal and daubed a mixture of Color Solution alcohol ink (the color was Sugar Plum CS208) with thinner or blending solution (CSC). This was accomplished by dripping just a few drops of each onto a felt applicator. The new one ounce bottles have a control tip nozzle that just squeezes out one drop at a time.


Then I dry embossed the nativity stencil (LL3019) onto a plain "silvery" colored piece of aluminum using the same stacking formula as above and then removed the stencil and daubed the entire surface with the same Sugar Plum Color Solution (CS208) using a felt applicator. Because I wanted to colorize the nativity with a yellow gold color I replaced the stencil and wiped the purple color off of the design using a cotton swab dampened with thinner. Doing this gave me a clean surface to work on, otherwise the purple would mix with the next color I used. The Color Solution Gold Star (CS203) matches the background to a "t" and was perfect to then stencil a beautiful yellow-gold color onto the nativity. Again I achieved this using a clean piece of felt on my applicator, but this time I wanted it to be more opaque so I didn't add thinner like I did with the Sugar Plum Color Solution. 


Once these pieces were dry I mounted the nativity onto a glossy piece of black cardstock and again onto the metal piece.


If you would like to play along with our sketch this week sign up on mr. linky below. And be sure to follow the "dream team" list at the sidebar on the right of my blog to see what the other members have done this week.

7 comments:

Liz Martin said...

Love it! And the non-traditional Christmas colors. The alcohol ink colors are so rich they work beautifully with paper and metal.

Pam Hornschu said...

That Sugar Plum provides such a luxuriant color on that metal...very regal!

Louise said...

Very beautiful, I just love both these stencils, the background says it all!

Anonymous said...

A beautiful card Lynell! I love these alcohol inks, they are so intense.

Wendy said...

This is soo pretty. I made a creation similar to this a while back when I was Guest Designer on Christian Paper Crafts. I will post it. I am not sure it ever made it to my blog. I did't use alcohol ink on it though!! Thanks for reminding me!! I will post this next week!! I hope your having a good week!

Kristi said...

Very pretty. I love the rich colors and true Christmas theme!

Anne said...

It is a beautiful card, a gift in itself! it is great to see something that celebrates CHRISTmas and not 'holidays' too. I love the technique, TFS!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive